Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Simplest Is Usually the Best

June is almost upon us and it might be said the best thing about June is strawberry season. Not only do we go strawberry picking every season, but they're also constantly on sale in this area all through May and June so I seem to have a constant supply in my fridge. The other thing that always happens in June is a constant ice cream supply in my freezer. For the next three to four months I will not want to sit down to watch a movie without a bowl of ice cream. So it would only make sense to combine the two. Last year I tried something new...homemade strawberry sauce! Have you ever tasted heaven? I have since I started making this:
2 lbs. fresh strawberries, diced
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Simmer on stovetop until it becomes syrup.
This sauce also gave me a new appreciation for plain old vanilla ice cream. In my opinion it's the best way to enjoy something as simple and perfect as fresh strawberry sauce. If you're renting a movie this weekend, consider picking up some strawberries and Breyers after hitting the Redbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment